Despite the fact that I strongly believe and support Kizz Daniel’s claim of being sidelined by some Nigerian Music Industry gatekeepers, I feel he is part of his problems. I will compare him to the top 4 Nigerian artistes Davido, Wizkid, Burna Boy and Olamide.
Kizz Daniel has a good fanbase called Vado Nation, and he works with Empire Music
Every A-list artiste in Nigeria has a strong and loud fanbase and signed International Record Labels. Wizkid has “Wizkid FC”, Davido has “30 Billion Gang”, Burna Boy’s fanbase is called “Outsiders” and Olamide has “YBNL Fans”. When it comes to International Record deals, Wizkid works RCA records (affiliated to Sony Music), Davido works with Sony Music, Burna Boy works with Warner Music and Olamide works Empire Music.
Sometimes an artiste can have a very big fanbase Andy the best record deal but when the fans don’t get ‘content’ aside music from their artiste, it makes the fanbase look useless and irrelevant cos they don’t have nothing to talk about except when their artiste releases a song.
The factors or elements that keeps the 4 names I’ve mentioned always at the top are;
• Drama or Controversies
• Collaborations and Association
I will explain it one after the other.
- Drama/Controversies: The likes of Davido, Wizkid, Burna Boy and Olamide are always in the news at least every three months for doing certain things aside releasing songs. I can list at least 3 for each of them.
• Davido: 1. Soliciting 20 Million Naira on Twitter and giving it out to the needy, 2. Baby Mama issues, Chioma, 3. Rich and Big Boy, Omo Baba lowo.
• Burna Boy: 1. Beef with Shatta Wale, 2. Break up with Steflon Don, 3. Grammy Win and loses. Recently seff Ghanaians dash am one with Blacko.
• Wizkid: 1. Grammy win, 2. Affair with Manager, 3. Rumors of dating Tiwa Savage and Tems.
• Olamide: 1. Attributing of Fireboy’s success to him (this one happens almost every time Fireboy has a hit),
- Yahoo Boy/Money talks in his lyrics, 3. Artistes exiting his label.
All of these keeps their names in conversations and top of mind. It increases their popularity and music sales. I didn’t even add the big shows and tours Davido, Wizkid and Burna Boy has played in recent times. The last time Kizz Daniel was in the news heavily was around 2017/2018, after he left his first management G-Worldwide.
- Collaborations and Association: Kizz Daniel has little hit collaborations. He hardly feature artistes on his songs. After his hit remix of ‘Woju’ featuring Tiwa Savage and Davido in 2014 the next hit collaboration he had was ‘One Ticket’ ft Davido and the new one ‘Buga’ with Tekno . He doesn’t appear on shows as support to his colleagues. Burna Boy will host a show, he won’t go, Wizkid will host a show he won’t, Davido ein show wey he go too his manager chop slap for there, since then his relationship with Davido has not been good.
• Davido had a lot of hit collaborations just last e.g For You (Teni), High (Adenkule Gold), Je M’appelle (Darkovibes) KE Star remix (Focalistic) etc. These are 2021 features ooo, I didn’t add Activate (Stonebwoy), Maserati Remix (Olakira), Baddest Boy Remix (Skibii), Number One (Diamond Platinumz).
• Burna Boy strategically did features across Africa last year. He jumped on every trending sound, from Amapiano to Drill; Second Sermon Remix (Black Sherif), Yabakulu Remix (Dj Tarico), Jerusalem Remix (Master KG) Own it (Stormzy) Location (Dave).
• Wizkid will do a collaboration and will make it look like his. He will sing about 40 or 50 percent of the song; Tokyo (King Promise) Tonight (R2Bees), Energy (Skepta), Supa (R2bees), Ballon D’or (Burna Boy) Ma Lo (Tiwa Savage) One Dance (Drake), Brown Skin Girl (Beyoncé).
• Olamide is known for blowing literally unknown artistes by featuring on their songs: Vision 2020 (Bella Shmurda), Omo Ope (Asake), Zaazuu (Portable), Fada Fada (Phyno), Naami (Dopenation). Olamide has songs with new artistes that you will think he was rather featured on the songs. Infinity (ft Omah Lay), Loading (ft Bad Boy Timz) Triumphant (ft Bella Shmurda), Unconditionally (ft Peruzzi)
We all know collaborations introduces artistes to new fans and audiences. When the song is big the artistes on it are also mentioned everytime.
- Activations: Davido, Wizkid and Burna Boy rolls and have fun in Accra like it’s they are Lagos. They spend weeks or months here, showing up at parties and shows. Olamide mostly comes to Ghana when he has a show here. When they come they do collaborations, interviews and play shows. My Superstar Kizz Daniel doesn’t give a f*ck about activating himself in other African countries.
Last year, I was on my boss Sadiq put him on a show, the kinda outrageous demands he made eerrr, like he be Michael Jackson wey the Michael Jackson we know be fake. Later, I got to he has issues with the agent we worked with.
Dude is handsome and very talented. He has all it takes to be a Superstar but Over sabi and Pride dey limit his progress.
Leave a Reply